A Record of Giving Back
In addition to providing exceptional leadership and professional development programming every year during the Women’s Leadership Conference (WLC), the event provides a lasting benefit to our community through philanthropic support. The MGM Resorts Foundation is proud to donate the proceeds from the conference after costs to Las Vegas community nonprofit agencies devoted to the welfare, protection and/or development of girls and/or women.
Over the years, conference proceeds totaling approximately $135,000 have benefited the following nonprofit organizations:
- Dress for Success Southern Nevada, the local affiliate of the international nonprofit that empowers women to achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire and the development tools to help women thrive in work and in life. (2016 WLC)
- Southern Nevada Children First, a nonprofit organization created to mentor, educate and support homeless, pregnant and parenting youth and young adults while providing support services to their children. (2015 WLC)
- WestCare Nevada Inc. Women and Children Campus, a nonprofit providing a wide spectrum of behavioral health services available to women adults, children, adolescents and families. (2014 WLC)
- Women’s Development Center, a nonprofit which provides affordable housing, economic and educational opportunities and support services to families and individuals to attain long-term self-sufficiency and end the cycle of poverty. (2013 WLC)
- Safe Nest, Nevada’s largest and most comprehensive charity devoted solely to domestic violence shelter, counseling, advocacy and prevention. (2012 WLC).
- Women’s Research Institute of Nevada at University of Nevada, Las Vegas, which is dedicated to improving the lives of women and girls through research and education. (2011 WLC)
- From the conference’s inception in 2007 through 2010, proceeds were donated to the local American Indian, Asian, Latin, Urban and Women’s Chambers of Commerce to support student scholarship programs and other initiatives.
In celebration of the 10th anniversary in 2016, The MGM Resorts Foundation announced the creation of a new scholarship program to help those who would benefit from the conference, but do not have the financial means to attend on their own. Beginning in 2017, a portion of the 2016 conference proceeds will be set aside to establish a scholarship fund to cover registration costs for outstanding students at Nevada public institutions of higher learning.
MGM Resorts International sponsored 10 student leaders from the College of Southern Nevada, Nevada State College, the University of Nevada, Las Vegas and the Culinary Academy of Las Vegas to attend the 2016 event as a means to honor the conference’s decade of success and to kick-off the new scholarship program.